Sunday 20 November 2011

To my Dad

While attending a Christening today, these words came to me.

 To My Dad




I never really understood you.
you were far too busy
working to feed me
and I was far too busy
being me.
all those split shifts
that meant that
I never saw you
but gave you
more money
to spend on living
I never understood
you
From that day
of my birth
you were always
twenty-six
years older than me
an old man forever
Today
at a christening
buffet at the pub
room full of
old people
many younger
than I
but somehow older
baby leon
in dads arms
dad twenty-four year old
giant to the baby’s eyes
forever that same
age difference
between them
Now
I am ten years
older than you Dad
and in my mind
I’m still
your boy
but somehow
I understand
better
It took a long time

I loved you

I miss you

No comments:

Post a Comment