Monday 8 September 2014

Paradise


Where the rolling turquoise ocean
meets the sun-hot silver strand
where the breakers level out and touch the sky
there's a place that no-one's named yet
because no-one's ever been there
and gazed upon the scene and wondered why

If we never came to stand here
just to witness all there is
and to wonder at the sight before our eyes
is there just a tiny chance that we
could possibly imagine
it existed without us - are we that wise?

I'd like to think that somewhere
there's an island beach untrammelled
by the cankerous and offensive hand of man
but if you ever hear of it,
I beg you please just leave it
to exist without us, leave it if you can.

©Rob King

6 comments:

  1. Great sentiments Rob, and I love the metre of this - reminds me of a little yellow idol somehow! And those first two lines really pull you in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you're right Lynne - it does! Entirely unintentional, but you know how I love rhythms as well as rhymes. I'm blissfully ignorant of the mechanics of poetry, and I think that is a blessing, because I don't feel I ought or have to do things a certain way to end up with the "music" that I want :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great poem. It says a lot ~ the first two lines capture the beauty, and the last two express the wish ... to leave it just as it is. Beautifully brought together Rob.

    ReplyDelete